Mmm oatmeal. A hot, toasty breakfast for cold winter mornings. This healthy power oatmeal is satisfying and luxurious without paying a tax to your waistline.
Every time I have lost a substantial amount of weight I have started off the day with this oatmeal. It’s delicious, healthy and keeps hunger pangs at bay until lunch time so that you’re not snacking on junk throughout the day. It’s also a fantastic way to get carb cravings under control straight upon waking up. I use it as my fuel source to power me through the day and then have vegetables and proteins for the rest of my meals. This way, I can burn those carbs throughout the day and end on a light meal that won’t just sit in the stomach and become fat in sleep. The natural high fiber content promotes a healthy digestive system and kicks your metabolism into hyperdrive.
Weight loss isn’t the only perk of this oatmeal and it contains some awesome health benefits:
HEALTH BENEFITS OF POWER OATMEAL INGREDIENTS:
Oats– have been found to boost appetite-control hormones and boost immune system defenses.
Raisins– are a good source of iron, fiber and potassium.
Walnuts and almonds– walnuts are packed with omega 3 fatty acids, help reduce stress and can help prevent breast cancer. Almonds are linked with reducing heart disease and protect you from diabetes and cardiovascular disease. They also improve blood fats and help you lose weight.
Flax Seeds– high in fiber and omega 3 fatty acids, flax seeds have cardiovascular,anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits.
Fruits like bananas and raspberries– Bananas have a lot of potassium in them and raspberries are filled with healthy antioxidants.
Honey– prevents cancer and heart disease, improves recovery time for athletes, a natural bacteria killer, soothes coughs and sore throats.
If you have weight to lose this new year, this healthy breakfast will start you off on the right track each morning:
- 1/2 cup steel cut or organic oats
- 1 cup 2% or skim organic milk
- 2 tbs. flax seeds
- 1 handful of raisins
- 1 handful walnuts or almonds
- half a bananna, handful of raspberries or any fruit you love
- 1 tbs. honey or brown sugar
- Fill a small pot with the milk on medium-high heat.
- Pour in oats and raisins (they will get nice and plump and rehydrate with the heat and moisture). Stir oats, raisins and milk as they cook for 5-10 minutes. If you cook for 10 minutes or longer you will get a dryer oatmeal.
- Stir in flaxseed, your choice of nuts, sweetener like honey or brown sugar and serve with your favorite fruit on top.
- *The milk in the oatmeal will make it sweet so you don't need the extra honey or brown sugar if you don't want it!
Will you be making this healthy oatmeal? What do you like on your oatmeal?